Change begins with small acts. The title of my blog is taken from Paul Gilroy's powerful slim volume packing a resounding counter-cultural critical punch.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Malaysiakini is NOT like a blog!

I don't often use my blog as a ranting space but today, I have to because I am powered by fury.

Today, I attended a forum on Malaysian Press in the Era of Technology where Bunn Nagara, Associate Editor of The Star, made this completely baseless comment when asked what he thought of Malaysiakini. He said, "Malaysiakini is like a blog" and he deemed the news site unprofessional and unprofitable.

And how does he define professionalism? Well, Malaysiakini is not professional because they don't publish news on Saturday and Sundays.

Yup, there you have it folks. If you don't work a 7-day week, then you are not professional. Remember, that is from the mouth of Mr. Bunn Nagara himself. And all those hard-working, experienced journalists at Malaysiakini are mere bloggers.

Thankfully, I have some critical thinking students who know better than to accept this bit of opinion as fact. And we wonder why our media is in trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home